Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Aussie Lingo

Well this one is for Mel (Empress4). I have no idea which Aussie Lingo is confusing, but maybe this will help :D

bbq - barbeque
dh - darling husband
TJ - my daughter
BMW - my son and child no 2
Nath - junior son and child no 3
PB - personal best
snags - sausages, great Aussie food generally cooked on a bbq! Perfect eaten with tomato sauce (known as ketchup for you guys) and a wrapped in a slice of bread (white stuff, not that yucky sourdough)

Have I helped? Made you smile? Good mission accomplished.

Later!

7 comments:

gloria said...

LOL! Okay, go on, tell her about the

*serviettes*
*capsicum*

the meaning of the words
*ta!* and *arvo*

There are a lot more, but right now *this* American chick is finding it hard to remember them!!

::smiles::

agent713 said...

I was going to ask about "snags" too. I figured it was food though :)
~Heidi...learning something new every day

Veronica said...

To build on what glo-girl said:

Serviettes - napkins - you know the things you put on your lap in a restaraunt.

Capsicum - bell peppers

ta! - short for thank you or thanks

arvo - short for afternoon - as in "I'll be over sometime in the arvo"

what about - "Ava good weekend and don't forget the aeroguard!" ?? :)

No worries, mate

Aussie Wendy said...

and we can't forget 'blue' a term used to call a redhead by. As in, her comes blue.

Mel said...

Hey thanks! Though I am sure there are other words tripping me up!!! :)

Empress4

Veronica said...

Blue has another meaning too.

Blue can mean a fight. AS in "There was a big blue at the pub last night"

Anonymous said...

What about...

E-hem... There was a big blue this arvo at the pub. Blue was real agro 'cause some yob was trying to win on to his misses. Said she was a dead cert to come to his place and russle up a few snags. "I might even crack out the serviettes for her" he said "Maybe even open a bottle of plonk I've had a home since Ned Kelly was a whipper snapper"