Tuesday, March 14, 2006

New car

DH decided we need a new car. Realistically we need to sell 3 cars (we have 4), so DH decided the best and easiest way to get rid of 2 is to buy 1 new one and trade the others in.

Yeah I guess this does work, however you then need to fund the new car purchase. And in todays market a 2nd hand car has very little value, so there's still a decent gap between the trade in and the new car price. Even when trading in 2 cars.

So we went and looked at the major car yards, Holden, Mitsibishi, Nissan, Mazda and Toyota. We ruled out Subaru and Honda as unaffordable for what we needed.

We ended up test driving 2 cars, the astra and the corolla. Both are very similar and DH just fits in them height wise. I drove the corolla, and honestly there is very minimal difference between my corolla we would be trading in and the new one, well except for a couple hundred thousand kilometres.

I couldn't figure why we would want to get a loan to buy a car thats basically the same as we have now that we own. OK, yes it does have an air bag, and a cd player and air con, but thats it.

So I talked DH out of it. Told him there was so many other things I would prefer to do with the money. I don't think he's happy, but I'd much rather save and pay cash for something than get a loan that will cost me double of what I'm forking out and at the end of the term be worth very little.

Anyone need to buy a car? Very reliable. One owner. Even has a sunroof.

3 comments:

gloria said...

ahem. seriously, yes, we need a new car. but no air con??? I would be too miserable!!

Mel said...

Hey do you have GM and Ford cars over there?


Empress4

Aussie Wendy said...

GM is known as Holden, so yeah.